NPS maintains the Newfoundland Pony Registry under the Heritage Animals Act.
There are fees associated with Registration, DNA testing, Transfers and
certain administrative activities (e.g. duplicate Certificates, registered name
change, etc.). Please refer to the Current Fee Schedule.
Records pertaining to the Registry responsibility involve:
- Applications for Registration
- Registration Certificates
- Registered Newfoundland Pony Listings
- Unregistered Newfoundland Pony Listings (with DNA Test Results)
- DNA Test Applications
- DNA Test Reports
- Identification Photographs
- Record Updates
- Transfers of Ownership
- Export Permit Concurrence
- Evaluation of Requests to Castrate
- Annual Summariy of Breeding Population
- Annual Summary of Live Population
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- NPS assumes no responsibility for any transactions that may result from the
'Buy and Sell' advertisements or the 'Breeders List' contacts and takes no
responsibility for the authenticity of any claim made by owners or breeders.
Please contact the NPS Registrar for confirmation of registration status,
ownership on file and pedigree information.
- NPS recommends when reviewing pony prices, consideration be given to the
cost of transportation. If this is a inter provincial sale, etc., the shipping
cost is usually significant.
- NPS recommends a veterinary check be done prior to sale.
- NPS recommends written agreements between parties re pony sales or gifts and
recommends that payment be received in full by the seller prior to release of
the pony to the purchaser.
- Please note that it is the seller's (or gift givers) responsibility to
initiate the registration transfer. The Registration Certificate is in the
owner's name. This certificate must be returned to the NPS Registrar along with
the necessary transfer information and fee. A new certificate will be issued
directly to the new owner and in their name. Proof of purchase may be required
if the Newfoundland Pony Society records are not up-to-date regarding the
- Export permits are required for ponies leaving the Province of Newfoundland
and Labrador. Please allow a minimum of two weeks processing time for the
permit. Contact either the NPS Registrar or the Provincial Veterinarian's Office.
- NPS recommends that the proper vaccinations be administered and the time
line required for maximum immunity be observed prior to transport. Please
consult with your vet.
- Please read: Long Distance Equine
Transport - Vital Considerations
Forms from the Newfoundland Pony Society are in PDF format. Download Adobe
Back to Top